Wednesday 11 November 2009

Freedom

The theme of freedom kept surfacing in my travels today.

I started the day in Ramallah, the administrative capital of the Palestinian Authority, ten kilometres north of Jerusalem. Today is the five-year anniversary of Yasser Arafat's death. There were numerous parades and rallies in the street to commemorate him. For many years he was considered a terrorist. But for the Palestinian people, he was the leader of their freedom struggle.











In the afternoon, I attended a workshop in East Jerusalem about whether the European Union is helping or harming the Palestinian cause. The two Palestinians at the table kept repeating that unless the Palestinian people gain their freedom, in other words, establish an independent State and end the Israeli occupation, then nothing that anybody does will help them. "Without freedom, nothing matters," remarked one of the Palestinians.

My night ended with the Matrix, which for those of you who do not know, was the film with Keanu Reeves, about human beings freeing themselves from the control of machines. Will you take the red or the blue pill?

Freedom is the foundation for a more meaningful existence. On a personal level, I have flourished when I was free to make my own choices. On a spiritual level, I have found a path that encourages openness and diversity. Freedom is a central theme in the Jewish religion. My favourite Jewish festival is Pesach, which celebrates the exodus of the Jews from slavery in Egypt. Today, after endless struggles and countless catastrophes, Jews have freedom.

But I wonder: can there be peace for the Jews without freedom for the Palestinians?

50 days to go...

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the Jews (Israelis) will only be able to live peacefully, without looking over their shoulders, if the Palestinians have their freedom. I guess the question for me is that even when the Palestinians have their freedom, will the leadership be happy with the Jews (Israelis) living next to them peacefully or will that be too difficult to bare?

    Now that the blacks in South Africa are "free" and rule themselves are the whites living in peace? Now that the Ukrainians have their freedom from Russia, are they living in peace? etc, etc, etc...

    I love ya and I hope you are keeping strong, hopeful and optimistic :) Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'mon Carin - this stuff is way to tame. I was expecting some serious left wing self hating Jewish rhetoric....

    What a let down....

    Pull out the knives, draw the lines, get dark and dirty on us. Quit all this poetic jangle and cut to the chase

    :)

    I'll call you next week and we'll catch up for lunch

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Kohnny

    ReplyDelete