Monday 2 November 2009

To question or not to question?

Today I started work. I am working with three Israeli organisations: B’Tselem, Hamoked and Physicians for Human Rights-Israel. They are not the most popular crowd in Israel because they ask tough questions about Israel’s policies and practices in the Palestinian territories (and towards Arab Israelis). And if they find that Israel is violating its own laws, or international laws that Israel has signed up to, they take action. One Israeli friend of mine told me: “I do not like what they say, but they act as my conscience.”

There is a strong Jewish tradition that encourages us to ask questions. The tradition shapes teaching at yeshivas and is celebrated in Jewish festivals, like the four questions asked during Pesach. I have vivid memories as a child of being encouraged to ask questions, never blindly accepting what someone told me, and always striving for more information.

When it came to Israel and the Palestinians however, I was not encouraged to ask questions. I was encouraged to support Israel. To some extent I understand why. But, it runs counter to my belief that questions get us closer to the truth, and that truth can lead to justice; a key ingredient of shalom.

I am really glad to be here in Israel surrounded by people who are asking questions and taking action. You will hear more about their work in the coming days, but for now, I will let you judge for yourselves and ask your own questions.

Tomorrow, a tour into the heart of the conflict: Jerusalem.

59 days to go…

6 comments:

  1. Just found this Oscar Wilde's quote:
    "“Religions die when they are proved to be true. Science is the record of dead religions.”

    Keep on questioning everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting Carin. I'm intrigued and will be following you the next 58 days ... André (in Geneva)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be joking . Not to ask questions ? In Israel? I see more slaughtered Sacred Cows around us than anywhere in the world. I haven't seen more diversity or more politically oriented society than the Israeli society polarized on most of the issues.
    Two of the three organizations that I am familiar with are excepted (never by all) more important - they are respected (by some).
    The problem is that the activity as important as it is, serves the purposes of those who use it to question the very existence of a Jewish state .This is 92 years to the Balfour declaration that we marked yesterday.I hope your Journey will leave you even more confused with many more questions hard to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck my darling. You were also taught that 'no' is not an answer just the start of a new series of questions or a different strategic direction. You were also taught to stand up for what you believe in and that you will inherit what you fight for. And that sometimes it is the journey that yields the greatest outcomes rather than the end goal. I will as always follow your progress with a critical but loving eye.

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Carin, à travers ton histoire, celle de ta famille, L'Histoire, tes yeux et ton coeur, je me réjouis de lire ta fabuleuse expérience. Merci de nous la faire partager!
    Je t'embrasse,
    Mélanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Babe,
    Saw this on tv last night.
    www.sbs.com.au/dateline/story/watch/id/600247/n/Hot-Property
    Was rather intense.
    May be of interest for you to watch this as part of your journey. take care,
    Chad

    ReplyDelete