Tuesday 10 November 2009

Why do I do this?

Today I accompanied an Israeli human rights activist to a meeting with a group of eighteen-year old Jewish Aussies and South Africans who are here on a one-year program to learn about Israel. They asked some important questions. I have reproduced the questions below, to tell you how I would answer them.

1. Are you only here to defend Palestinians human rights? Why do you ignore human rights violations from the other side?

I am concerned for all human beings. I am concerned about human rights violations wherever they take place. But I choose to work on issues where I think I can make a difference and where I feel responsible. As a white South African, I felt responsible for the policies and practices of the white South African government during the apartheid era, but I was too young to act. As an Australian, I feel responsible for the situation of indigenous people, and I acted. As a Jew, I feel responsible for what Jews are doing in the occupied Palestinian territories, and I want to act.

2. There is already so much criticism about Israel outside the country. Why are you trying to create so many more problems for Israel? Are you not damaging Israel more than helping it? Are there not more productive things to do to make Israel a better place?

I do not want Israel, or any country for the matter, to develop into a society where citizens and their elected leaders are not accountable for their acts. The rule of law is a basic building block for any democratic country. I think it is essential that laws exist and are applied to everyone. The Israeli government harms Israel, its citizens and the Palestinians under its control, when it violates the rule of law. Is that the kind of country we are dreaming for? Does that help the Jewish people?

3. Are you a Zionist? How do you justify causing so much pain to fellow Jews by saying things against us?

I do not know what it means today to be a Zionist. Zionism was a movement that started in the late 19th century to establish a homeland for the Jewish people in the land of Israel. The Zionists succeeded. Israel exists. Do we really need to keep defining ourselves this way?

I do not consider myself as being against the Jewish people. I do not consider myself against any people. But I think it is important to ask questions. And I think it is important to speak out when someone does the wrong thing. I think it is even more important when it comes to the policies and practices of a State. Is not this the essence of justice?

51 days to go...

2 comments:

  1. Bravo Carin, ta démarche est admirable et courageuse... en effet, la résolution de conflit, quel qu'il soit passe toujours par une remise en question de ses certitudes. C'est le passage obligé pour comprendre la réalité de l'autre... Tu es de ceux/celles qui ouvrent des chemins... Continue!!
    Bonne suite à toi
    Roland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carin, there is something desperate in these questions... a sense of being permanently victim of the situation and of others' criticism. But your answers are full of hope! They are rooted in the conviction that justice is the only possible way forward, a message that was already voiced by Israel's prophets!
    There is place for a Zionism based on justice.
    Why should not Israel re-discover its own values? Why should not Jerusalem one day become the city of peace, a place where people of all faiths can live together?
    Next year in Jerusalem, with all reconcilied peoples of the world!

    ReplyDelete