Saturday 28 November 2009

The sacrifice

Today was the Muslim fesival of Eid al-Adha, also known as the "Festival of Sacrifice." It commemorates the story of when Abraham tried to sacrifice his son to G-d. Jews, Christians and Muslims believe the same story, they just differ on which son went up to be sacrificed. The Jews and Christians say it was Isaac. The Muslims say it was Ishmael.

During Eid, it is customary to sacrifice an animal and then feast on it. I joined a group of kibbutzniks who went to wish "Eid said" (happy festival) to dozens of Palestinian families in the West Bank. We literally went around from family to family, offering sweets and chocolates, sharing in the festivities, and receiving their warm hospitality.



At every home we were offered sickly sweet tea, cardamon infused coffee, biscuits with dates and figs, traditional bread, rice, yogurt, and of course, the sacrificial lamb. In one case, the family actually sacrificed a camel. I am scared to admit this to my Hindu friends and my animal-loving sister, but I must confess, I ate the camel.

In Arab culture, hospitality is one of the most sacred values. To refuse their hospitality would have been the greatest insult, absolutely unthinkable. And by the way, it tasted damn good!

Now back to my story. Many of you already know the kibbutzniks I am referring to, they call themselves the Villages Group, and they are some of the most inspiring people I have met on my journey. They are Israelis who spend every weekend visiting Palestinian families to build friendships. They are determined to keep the human contact alive; to resist the demonisation of "the other;" to transcend the Us versus Them tag.

I am deeply moved by the simplicity of their acts and the power of their message. Too often I hear people from both sides accusing "Israelis" or "Palestinians" of being killers, fanatics, violent, ideological, full of hatred, and more. I have been guilty of doing this myself. I am not denying that these kinds of people exist here, they do. But I do not accept putting this label on an entire people. The label, and the discourse that accompanies it, is being used to justify the most horrifying acts. Worst of all, it is stripping people of their humanity.

I know that peace is a distant dream, but what price are we willing to pay until we get there? How far are we prepared to dehumanize?

33 days to go...

5 comments:

  1. Many thanks for the beautiful pictures and the truthful words. David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carin,
    I went out with the Villages Group and I was also touched by the way they spent time in the most basic and human way with the villagers.
    Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling Caki-???
    The second i've received ! i take it these are not mean'nt to be personal rather a commentary-but what the hell it allows us to keep in touch!
    To-day in sunny Melb the Meeting of the faiths begin -2009 PARLIMENT OF THE WORLD'S RELIGIONS-every little bit counts!
    Keep up the good work. I'm learning heaps-even thinking about what can be done with the cull of camels about to start in the Northern Territory. Love Mackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carin hi,

    Thanks for writing about the Villages Group. I wonder if you can post here a link to previous stories you made about us (as hinted in the post above).

    Also, the way you describe the tea you were offered reminds me of a funny anecdote: in 1988 I went to India and of course used the 1986 Lonely Planet guide. LP devoted a whole page in their cultural introduction, to trashing that "over-milky, over-sweet, Indian excuse for tea."
    I, by contrast, fell in love with the drink at first site. And I wasn't the only one.

    20 years later, spiced chai is offered as a delicacy in every coffeeshop in the Western world.

    From that perspective, if I may suggest (and I have more experience drinking and brewing it), the only global rival in quality to Indian chai is Arab tea, usually brewed without milk but with local herbs such as na'ana, sage, "za'atar shai" (in the Galilee) or "star" (don't know the Arab name for it, found further south in the Naqeb/Negev desert).

    So one day you might find "shai" served in your Melbourne or Sidney coffeeshop next to chai ;)

    Cheers, thanks again for writing, your ongoing diary seems to spark some interesting debate!

    Assaf (Villages Group webmaster)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very nice story, it makes one wonders how many Palestinians go to wish Jews happy holiday? or as you said above "determined to keep the human contact alive; to resist the demonisation of "the other;" to transcend the Us versus Them tag"." So You come across Jews and internationals helping Palestinians in Olive groves etc. Do you see ever Palestinians helping Jews or Internationals for the sake of humanism?

    ReplyDelete